The meaning of politics according to the Oxford dictionary.
- The activities associated with the governance of a country or area, especially the debate between parties having power.
- The activities of governments concerning the political relations between states.
- The academic study of government and the state.
- A particular set of political beliefs or principles.
- The principles relating to or inherent in a sphere or activity, especially when concerned with power and status.
- Activities aimed at improving someone’s status or increasing power within an organization.
The keywords seem to be government, state, country, power, status, parties and political beliefs or principles. I find this shallow and merely technical. I would say that politics must be build upon the land and nature that sustains lives including humans. It must not be made for administrative borders and the well being of just humans.
If we don’t work to save and secure the environment and ecology, human survival will become uncertain and then politics will be futile. Continue reading
Sriman Bhaskar H. Save is a farmer in Gujarat, India. He has been practicing organic and natural farming since 1960 and revered as the Guru of natural farming. IFOAM (International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements) of Bonn, Germany conferred on him the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010. The questions he asks regarding nature and humans greatly interest me.
- Is there any creature that starves like we humans do?
- Do any of them do business? Or even social work? Yet, they live disease free and depart when nature calls.
- So, when all the creatures around us are living happily, why do we have to struggle so much?
- Are we trying to beat nature in some race?
The field of genetic engineering developed the ability to move genes between cells, organisms and species. An organism such as a bacteria, insect, animal, seed or plant whose genetic material has been altered using the techniques of genetic engineering is called Genetically Modified Organism (GMO). In 1995 WTO ruled that micro organisms and micro-biological processes already existing in nature could be patented. This gave birth to seeds that are genetically engineered to contain a particular gene, patented and privately owned. Continue reading